♥ The Cathedral of the Assumption ♥

Yesterday, I went to Mass at the Cathedral of the Assumption downtown.

Now, I haven't been attending Mass like I should since I moved here (if you're a priest and my friend, please forget that you read that ;-), but I've really been wanting to get involved in a young adult group and/or a choir. The cathedral has both! The young adult group doesn't get together very often, but hopefully I'll be able to join them when they do.

As for the choir, it just so happens that rehearsals start next week for the new year! There are two choirs, the Cathedral Choir and the Cathedral Singers. The former sings at the 9:30am Sunday Mass, and the latter at the 5:30pm Sunday Mass. I'm going to start out trying the Cathedral Singers, but I might check out the Choir to see if maybe I should join them instead. The main draw to the Choir is that they take a Choir tour throughout Europe every few years! The next one is in 2012. How exciting and amazing would that be?!?!

Anyway, the Cathedral is incredibly beautiful. I have been to it before as a "tourist," I suppose, but had never gone into the sanctuary because there was always something going on inside when I passed by. It's not as big as I expected, which I like, and the richness of the colors and the architecture are amazing! The entire ceiling is a deep blue and has countless gold stars across it. The stained glass is so pretty, and there are rows of ornate columns and arches leading up to the altar.

The music was perfect. Since its still the summer, they did not have a choir, but just a piano, violin, and a cantor. By the way, I think I'm in love with the cantor. His voice was fantastic! Lol!

It was a really good Mass. I liked the priest (although he is retiring next year, so they'll be getting someone new soon) and I'm so excited to become more involved in the life of the Church again! I have missed it.

Before I get to the photos of the Cathedral, I'd like to share this photo I took on the way there. As I was driving downtown, I spotted a man walking a turtle! It was hilarious!

Ok, now here are the photos of the beautiful Cathedral!




Holly  – (August 30, 2010 at 10:11 AM)  

Turtle walking is hilarious!

I'm happy you're finding something to be involved in at church! Yay!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Fans of Falling4Lou

Search Falling4Lou

wibiya widget

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP